Thursday, November 08, 2012

Migas

Hello hello! 
Today I am sharing a recipe that I made on Sunday, it is called Migas.
It is basically a flavorful scrambled egg dish made fabulous with the addition of veggies, corn tortillas and lots of cheese. The ingredients list is enough for 6 servings but I adjusted it so it would be just enough for two people.

Ingredients:
1 medium onion
1 red bell pepper
1 green bell pepper
4 tomatoes
1 or 2 jalapenos
10 to 12 large eggs
1/4 cup half and half
Salt and pepper to taste
4 corn tortillas
Canola oil for frying
1 TBS olive oil
1 TBS butter
2 cups grated cheese
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 cup sour cream


Begin by roughly chopping the onion, bell peppers, and tomatoes.

I would have chopped the tomatoes but we only had frozen ones so they were already in chunks.

Then some eggs and just a splash of half and half. Whisk lightly. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

In a small skillet, fry the corn tortillas in canola oil until just barely crisp. Don't overbrown.

Drain the fried tortillas on a paper towel, then place on a cutting board. With a sharp knife, cut the tortillas into strips, then turn them the other way so they are in squares. Set aside.

In a skillet over medium-high heat, cook the onion and bell peppers in the olive oil until they develop a little color. You want the veggies to have some brown and black areas, but not be soggy of soft.
And I forgot to take the next picture, but you will want to put the tomatoes in and cook for 1 minute.

Then throw in the tortilla chips. Stir the mixture and reduce heat to low.

When the skillet has cooled slightly, pour in the egg mixture.
mix little by little, making sure it doesn't stick to the bottom.
When the eggs are cooked throw in the cheese and plenty of chopped cilantro (I forgot the cilantro...).

Now this picture really doesn't do much justice, it was SO much better then it looked. Next time I will have to put more thought into it.

Now I did actually right down my parents and little sisters reactions so here they are:

Mom - Mmm, very tasty. I like the veggies, but needs more green.

Dad - Tortilla needs to be added later. Its wonderful, though.

Lil' Sis - Mmm! Its SO GOOD! I love it!!!

The original recipe is from The Pioneer Woman, also known as Ree Drummond. My mom got me her cookbook from the library and I made this right away. You can see her whole website here.


Hope you enjoyed this! And I would love for you to let me know if you try this recipe.





Thursday Favorite Things



7 comments:

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

I've made something similar before - it is yummy!

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh that looks good all your food critics seem to agree. I am really hungry now it looks so good. B

Lotus Blossom Design said...

yum! looks great xo

jesh StG said...

Looks delicious - will try it!

Nancy said...

Well done Yolanda! Looks very yummy to me -- I love all of those ingredients! See you tomorrow! xo

Katherines Corner said...

Yoland this is yum! Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things hop. Wishing you a happy weekend. xo

Anonymous said...

This sounds delicious - and healthy!